CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Tuesday 13 July 2010

No Internet?! You must be joking!

“This is going to be tough,” was the first thing that went through my mind when I heard that I (or any other member of the staff) won’t have Internet access while working here. The second thought was “Why?” The school has WiFi, but they don’t give us the password which in today’s day and age is like forbidding a person to breathe. Internet is almost a basic human right, isn’t is? I’m still recuperating from the shock that news caused. I depend on being able to keep in touch with people, who aren’t here, and now I feel like 2 months of my life will rush by while I’ll be cut off from the world. I almost feel like Robinson Crusoe.

Apart from that my one day in Oxford was lovely. I didn’t sleep in as I keep waking up around 6am, which is completely insane considering I love sleeping in. The B&B I was at Thursday night was absolutely fantastic and so was the breakfast. They had a normal continental breakfast and while you were nibbling on your croissant they offered a proper English breakfast, so once you got out of the dining room, you were nicely full. After breakfast I had to pack (for the third time in five days) and then I left for the city centre. The bus ride to town sets you back around 1.90 GB and the return one 2.90 GBP and the bus takes you to Magdalen street (sorry if I misspell anything). The first thing I did was buy a new watch, because I have a feeling I might need it, and then I set into my usual routine - glossy magazine, grande latte and an armchair at Starbucks. My feet and my back were hurting quite badly, but you would understand what I mean if you saw all my luggage (or what has become of it after two days of shopping sprees. At around 1 o’clock I had to be at school’s premises for lunch, so I took the bus back and went for lunch. The first impression: a lot of people know each other from previous years and it seems like this is going to be a nice place to work. The food was actually quite good, I really cannot complain - four choices for the main course and veggies, potatoes, buns, etc. for sides. After lunch there was induction, dinner and an hour worth of a break which we spent at the pub. In the evening we moved to the course site and to finish the day we had crisps and wine. For the first time ever I managed to eat salt and vinegar crisps - I tried and tried before, but it always grossed me out, so I don’t know what’s different this time.

The evening and most of the night over, I returned to my room. Remember my rambling about hotels? Then you probably understand that I’m not exactly jumping of joy at the sight of my room. It’s big enough, with a bed and a wardrobe. Thats’s all some of you might ask. Yes. There is no desk! And that was even more of a shock than the lack of Internet access (argh..... we live in the 21st century and I cannot get online?!) How am I supposed to get any work done if I don’t even have a desk?! Whereas it is OK to force everyone go into the staff room so people are forced to mingle, it isn’t OK to deprive people who can concentrate much better when they are in a quiet environment and not disturbed. I can manage sitting on the bed and working for a short time, but it’s not comfortable or very efficient.

On the bright side, the people I work with are a good bunch and there ‘s a swimming pool on the site. There are also loads of excursions around England and we get fed a lot :-) I hope I get to go to a few shops soon to get some essentials and explore this area a bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment